Saturday 27 August 2016

GTO Project - Part 15

This episode we turn our attention to navigation and comms.  Specifically a way to mount the phone. 


Most people tend to use something like the above.  Its a suction mount phone holder.  Nothing special, but very cheap.  They tend to be a bit wobbly, and in high temperatures the suction cup can fail too.  Add to that the fact that it consumes some of the already limited screen real estate, i needed a solution.

As I intend to use this car for long tours, a solid phone / nav mount is essential.  I decided to fabricate something myself.


Using 3 L-angle brackets, and a long bolt I created this mount.  It fits into the hole where the dash-clock currently resides.  This clock is a bit naff, so i figured for the moment I can live without it. That seems to have been a large assumption as I now seem to be looking for the clock at regular intervals, I will live with it for now, and maybe look at adding a stand-alone clock elsewhere.


My original intention was to bodge my existing mount onto the bolt like the above photo, but I had look around the various phone shops and found that the Halfords (spotting a discount card pattern yet? :D ) phone mount appears to be much better than the one I had, and still pretty cheap.


So out come the tools to bodge the mount.  As it happens it required very little bodging as it already used the exact mechanism I needed.  It just needed the nut replacing and a hole boring out a little larger for the bolt.


After a few layers of spray paint (which doesn't seem to be very robust but it will do) we have the final product above.


And here it is fully installed in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment