Thursday 25 August 2016

GTO Project - Part 13

One of the requisites for embarking on a long road trip with other cars is an efficient and cheep communication method.  For this, most car rallies recommend CB radios.  They are very cheap and easy to use, and also have the benefit of being a broadcast medium so everyone in the convoy withing range can take part.

I bought a CB for the Scumrun rally we did several years ago and have used it a few times on other cars, but now I am going to permanently install it into the GTO.





As you can see above, the first problem is that the CB is quite small.  It has mounting holes on both sides but you can only tighten up one side.





To solve this, I built a spacer bracket.  I had plenty of aluminium L-section spare from previous projects to cut a piece to length and bent it accordingly.  It needed a few V cuts in the upright of the L to allow it to bend but this was simple enough.  Conveniently, this left a perfect hole for a couple of other components that I was going to re-locate.




The stereo that was in the car when i bought it had 3 harness converters nested together.  I think it was GTO > ISO,  ISO > "something", and then "something" > Panasonic.  The last two were huge so took a lot of space up.  I pulled them all out and just kept the GTO > ISO converter so the Pioneer head unit would plug right in.  There's still a mess of cables that could be massively simplified, but time constraints meant this was going to have to do.



One feature of the new H/U was the front facing USB port.  I happen to have some right-angle USB cables that I sourced for another project, and this gives me a relatively tidy way to add a semi-permanent storage for tunes.   This may or may not stay.  TBD




Here you can see the edited blanking plate.  The original had a solid plate blocking the bottom half of the dash hole.  This had a single "alarm" LED in it, and a key.  The key... I have no idea what it did.  It wasn't connected to anything so I ripped that out.  The LED needed to stay.

I also found out that I had conveniently left room for a double-USB port unit.

With everything re-installed into the dash, its all fairly tidy, although there are a few gaps that could do with tidying up.









No comments:

Post a Comment