Saturday 20 August 2016

GTO Project - Part 10

Iron Oxide, how I despise thee...





What you see here above is the fuel pump access hatch, the fuel tank, and the fuel pump bulkhead.  All rusted to buggery.


I treated the hatch with rust remover, angle ground down the surface and then primed and painted it with an nice enamel black.

You may also notice that the red internal metal body work is looking pretty clean.  There were a few corrosion spots (not major rust, just bobbling) so I decided to catch them early.  After grinding and priming with rust proofer they also got a nice coat of enamel paint.  Turns out the Halfords enamel red is a near perfect match for the GTO stock red.  I will cover this process in a little more detail in a later post.

The pump and tank will need to be dealt with in the future.  If it hadn't been quite so corroded I might have dropped it all out to check the everything was ok and cleaned it up, but given its state I think its best left well alone for the moment.  Its almost certainly not going to be cheap.   A performance upgrade pump (with all the ancillary bits) runs around $600, not including fitting, although a stock one is a fair bit cheaper.  I would probably upgrade the fuel lines at the same time thought, so combined with hoses, and other bits, I would be surprised if that job comes in on the good side of £500.  I will keep an eye out for the parts on ebay though.

No comments:

Post a Comment