Sunday 31 July 2016

GTO Project - Part 5

Next task, the fuel pipe heat shield.





As you will have noted in previous posts, the heat shield around the fuel filler pipe has disintegrated (spurred on by my prodding) so I need to replace it.  I did order one online but it seems there is a delay in getting the item shipped and I want to drive the car on a long run up country so i need to fabricate something to hold me over until the real one arrives.

For those of you following Bad Obsession Motorsport you will be familiar with CAD (cardboard aided design) and thus out comes the measuring stick and the scrawling instrument.


Tadaaa  One cad template produced.  This then needs folding up and test fitting to the car like so:




As you can see it fits a treat.  And yes, this design was powered by pot-noodle.  Shush.

So, as the design has been proven good, now its time to transfer this to metal.  I clearly wasn't paying attention when i was shopping in B&Q so I ended up buying a sheet of 0.5mm steel and not aluminium.  Probably for the best as bending alu can be problematic.  But equally, cutting steel is a pain too.  Out with the angle grinder and the rivet gun...




Cutting wasn't too bad, but folding 0.5mm steel by hand without a press brake was tricky to say the least.  Still, the end result was pretty acceptable as far as I am concerned.


Offer it up to the car, fitting looks good, spacing isn't bad either.   A closer inspection sees its a little off-center but i can live with that.


As its steel I gave it a anti-rust primer coating to stop it rusting through instantly, but if it becomes a permanent fixture i will get some of the enamel paint on there.


The final unit is fitted back to the car, ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment